Spicy IP Highlight of the Week!
The Highlight of the Week was Rupali’s post on the Delhi High Court judgment in Ericsson v. Micromax fixing interim royalty rates on FRANDLY licensing terms; the Court also fixed December 31st as the last date for trial of the suit.
The week began with me reporting that the IPR think tank, which was constituted by DIPP to draft a national IPR policy, has invited comments to be submitted in respect of the policy; the last date for sending in the comments is 30th November.
Next we had Spadika’s blog on the 2014 Access to Medicines Index released by the Access to Medicines Foundation; the annual index ranks the top 20 pharmaceutical companies in the world on their efforts in improving access to their medicines.
Lastly, we had Anubha reporting that Chaitanya Prasad, the incumbent Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks (CGPDTM), would be leaving office soon and the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) is inviting applications for the post.
IP news from around the globe:
- Students of Jadavpur University have levelled plagiarism charges against university Vice Chancellor, Abhijit Chakrabarti and have demanded his resignation from the post.
- The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court has reserved its order on a petition seeking a stay on the release of Rajnikanth-starrer ‘Lingaa’; the petitioner claimed that the director of the film had stolen his storyline.
- China has recently established intellectual property courts in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
- In a bid to gauge the satisfaction of the business community in the emirate, Dubai has launched an index to monitor intellectual property protection.
- With recreational pot being legalized recently in Alaska, Oregon and District of Columbia, there has been a mad rush at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to register marijuana-related trademarks; one of the trademarks applied for is ‘Marley Natural’, a line of Bob Marley-inspired cannabis!
With this we come to the end of our Weekly Review. We would like to remind our readers that Premier Cercle is organizing 9th Pan European Intellectual Property Summit in Brussels on 4th and 5th of December. Further details are available here.
[Our readers can now receive updates on the go- Click here to join our Facebook Page & follow us on Twitter (SpicyIP tweets at @SpicyIP). For extra tidbits and coverage of IP news exclusively for our subscribers, join our mailing list today!]