SpicyIP is very happy to announce that the Institute of Intellectual Property Research and Development (IIPRD) is soon to conduct the International Patent Drafting Competition (IPDC) 2016!
The IPDC has come to be after the success of the National Patent Drafting Competition (NPDC) 2015, which started as an initiative to spread awareness on patent issues whilst also seeking to enable practitioners to understand the essentials of patent drafting. The IPDC also hopes to promote the development of the skill of patent drafting, and to encourage increasing numbers of technical professionals to pursue patent drafting as a profession. The initiative to conduct IPDC has been taken by IIPRD and its sister concern, the IP law firm Khurana & Khurana, IP Attorneys (K&K).
There’s even more exciting news for SpicyIP readers interested in participating- you can enjoy a discount of 50% on the application (Rs. 500/- instead of Rs. 1000/-)!
Details of the competition follow:
- IIPRD and K&K will publish three invention disclosures (describing three inventions), one each in the domain of Electronics/ Hi-Tech, Mechanical, and Chemistry/Pharmaceuticals on 1st August 2016. These will be published on their respective website at www.iiprd.com and www.khuranaandkhurana.com.
- Participants would need to submit complete Patent Applications/Specifications (along with drawings, if applicable) complying with Indian Patent Act / US Patent Law for a technical domain of their choice (1 Patent Application per Participant) by 25th August 2016. The submissions can be sent either by mail to <[email protected]> or by post to IIPRD’s office at E-13, UPSIDC Site IV, Behind Grand Venice, Greater Noida – 201310. In either case, the submission has to be received by IIPRD on or before 25th August 2016.
A Participation Fee of Rs. 1000/- or USD 50 is to be submitted by each participant by 25th August 2016. (SpicyIP readers remember there’s a 50% discount on this for you!)
The payment can be made through: (i) Bank Transfer (Bank Name: IIPRD, Account No. 19620210002476, UCO Bank, Greater Noida Branch, IFSC Code:UCBA0001962); or (ii) Cheque/DD in favor of “IIPRD”, sent to IIPRD’s Office at E-13, UPSIDC Site IV, Behind Grand Venice, Greater Noida – 201310.
Each payment should be accompanied with the Name, Address, and Contact Details of the participant so that Participation Certificate can be sent at the given Address to Each Participant.
Any practitioner with a Technical/Science Background is eligible to participate in the IPDC. For instance, the participant could be a student, a practicing attorney, an in-house counsel, a scientist, a faculty, or any other stakeholder having a technical qualification.
Announcement of Winners & Prizes:
Two winners for each technology domain (total of 6 winners) would be announced on the website of IIPRD, K&K, and its affiliates/associates will be announced on 30th August 2016. Winners are selected based on a combination of factors, including flow of the specification, scope covered through embodiments, claim drafting strategy, and accuracy of technical coverage. The evaluation would be done collectively by representatives from each International Law Firm and Khurana & Khurana, IP Attorneys, coordinated by IIPRD. Their collective decision on selection of the winners would be final and shall not be open to change in any manner.
The winner placing first for each technology domain would be given a Prize of Rs. One Lakh Only (Rs. 1,00,000/-) or USD 2000, and the winner placing second for each technology domain would be given a Prize of Rs. Fifty Thousand Only (Rs. 50,000/-) or USD 1000.
The prize distribution ceremony shall take place during the annual International Pharmaceutical/Biotech Symposium being organised by IIPRD, at Hotel Hilton, Mumbai from 5:00 PM onwards on 29th September 2016.
Important Dates to Remember:
- Invention Disclosures on IIPRD/K&K Websites (iiprd.com, www.khuranaandkhurana.com): 1st August 2016.
- Submission of patent drafts along with participation fees (by Bank Transfer/DD/Cheque): 25th August 2016.
- Announcement of Winners: 30th August 2016.
- Prize/Certificate Distribution: 29th September 2016.
For any query/question, please feel free to write to [email protected], and/or call 0120-4296878/2342010 and speak with Ms. Tanu Goyal.
For more details, please visit the official website at http://www.iiprd.com/ip-training/international-patent-drafting-competition-ipdc/.