Nature : Joint Academy on International Trade and Policy
Location : New Delhi
Contact : jointacademy[at]iift.edu
We are pleased to remind our readers that The World Trade Institute of the University of Bern, Switzerland and the Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, India will be conducting the 5th WTI – CWS Joint Academy on International Trade Law and Policy (“Joint Academy”), from June 4 to June 29, 2018 in New Delhi. The last date for submission of applications is March 30, 2018. For further details, please read the Call for Applications below:
5th WTI – CWS JOINT ACADEMY
INTERNATIONAL TRADE LAW AND POLICY
June 4 – June 29, 2018
Call for Applications
The World Trade Institute of the University of Bern, Switzerland and the Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, India are pleased to announce the launch of the 5th WTI – CWS Joint Academy on International Trade Law and Policy (“Joint Academy”), from June 4– June 29, 2018 at New Delhi. The Joint Academy aims to provide law students and legal professionals in India a rare opportunity to deepen their knowledge on aspects of International Trade Law and Policy. Taught by distinguished academics and practitioners from India and abroad, the Joint Academy will equip participants with theoretical and practical insights into various issues relating to international trade law.
ABOUT THE JOINT ACADEMY
|Dates:||June 4 – June 29, 2018 (Four Weeks)|
|Modules:||Week 1 :||Introduction to the WTO and Basic Provisions of WTO; Agreement on Agriculture|
|Week 2 :||Investment Law; Trade & Intellectual Property Rights|
|Week 3 :||Agreement on Sanitary & Phytosanitary Measures; Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade; Trade in Services|
|Week 4 :||The Law & Policy of Trade Remedies; and Select Current WTO Issues|
WHO CAN APPLY
- All law students enrolled in any legal course in India, either at the undergraduate or postgraduate level. Preference will be given to students who have prior exposure to issues relating to International Trade Law.
- The Joint Academy is also open to Indian legal professionals. In addition, legal professionals can attend specific modules, in a flexible, “à la carte” manner. This option is not available for students.
- The maximum number of participants that will be selected for the Joint Academy is 30 (thirty). Past participants are kindly requested not to re-apply.
- Selection of candidates is at the final discretion of the Centre.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested candidates are required to complete the Application Form for the Joint Academy, and send the same, along with their updated CV to jointacademy[at]iift.edu
- The application form in MS Word can be downloaded from here: http://wtocentre.iift.ac.in
Paper applications will not be accepted.
|For Law Students:||INR 10,000/- (For the whole duration of the Joint Academy)|
|For Legal Professionals:||INR 25,000/- (For the whole duration of the Joint Academy)INR 7,000/- per weekly module (For applicants applying for specific modules)|
Please note that the above fees do not cover other costs such as meals, housing or local transportation of the participants. Lunch and tea on days of classes will be provided at the venue by the CWS.
With the objective of attracting the best participation from law schools, the CWS provides a refund of course fees for law students who meet the minimum attendance criteria and who meet the minimum pass percentage of 60% of all components of the Final Evaluation.
|Last date for submission of applications:||Friday, March 30, 2018|
|Communication of selection:||Friday, April 13, 2018|
|Last date for paying fees:||Wednesday, April 25, 2018|
|Last date for withdrawing application:||Friday, May 4, 2018|
|Commencement of Course:||Monday, June 4, 2018|
|Conclusion of Course:||Friday, June 29, 2018|
A candidate who has been accepted for the Joint Academy and has made payment in furtherance thereof may withdraw subsequently. However, such withdrawals can be made not later than and subject to a deduction of 50% of the fees paid. No cancellations will be entertained after May 4, 2018. There will also be no refund after this date.
ATTENDANCE AND FINAL EVALUATION
Classes will be held typically 5 days a week; from 09:30 a.m. to 05:30 p.m. Participants are required to attend ALL classes. The minimum attendance requirement is 80% per week.
For the purposes of evaluation, an examination will be conducted. Details about the mode of examination shall be communicated to selected participants.
ABOUT THE WORLD TRADE INSTITUTE
The World Trade Institute (WTI) is a centre of excellence of the University of Bern and the Faculty of Law. It is one of the world’s leading academic institutions dedicated to the regulation of international trade. The WTI transcends boundaries. It fuses law, economics and international relations in interdisciplinary research, training, advisory work and technical assistance in Switzerland and abroad. The WTI was the first, and is the most experienced institution in the world offering a specialised postgraduate degree in the law and economics of international trade regulation, through its flagship Master of International Law and Economics (MILE) programme. The WTI also runs a five-week Summer Academy in Bern on issues relating to investment and trade regulation. Additionally, it also jointly organises an annual Summer Programme on International Intellectual Property, with the Law Faculty of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, at Hong Kong.
ABOUT THE CENTRE FOR WTO STUDIES
The Centre for WTO Studies (Centre) was setup in 1999 by the Department of Commerce, Government of India, to serve as a permanent repository of WTO negotiations-related knowledge and documentation. The Centre has since evolved as an independent think-tank and knowledge centre with focus on trade in general, and the WTO in particular. The Centre has been a part of the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade since November 2002. The activities undertaken by the Centre seek to achieve three broad objectives:
- To assist India’s trade negotiators and policy makers in participating effectively in the WTO and at the related multilateral trade negotiations;
- To enhance the understanding of key trade issues among stakeholders through outreach and dissemination activities; and
- To develop capacities within India and in other developing countries for analysing WTO and other trade-related issues through training programmes.
- For updates about the Joint Academy, kindly visit the Centre’s website at http://wtocentre.iift.ac.in
- In case of any queries, feel free to email us at jointacademy[at]iift.edu.
- Visit us on facebook at www.facebook.com/CentreForWtoStudies/.
PAST PARTICIPANTS’ CORNER
The benefits I derived from the Academy are umpteen – learning with the best professors in the discipline, getting to know people working in the field of trade law and gaining knowledge about the kind of opportunities out there being a few. The course is strongly recommended for anyone interested in Trade Law or International Economic Law.
– Vatsal Vasudev, B.PSc.,LL.B(Hons.), NLU Jodhpur (1st Joint Academy)
The sessions were very insightful especially those pertaining to trade remedies. I would not have understood the intricacies underlying the calculation of the various duties if it were not for the Joint Academy. The Resource Persons and the organizers were a bundle of energy during the sessions and were extremely helpful to the participants.
– Nishi Jabeen, B.A.,LL.B(Hons.), Law Fac., Jamia Millia, Delhi (2nd Joint Academy)
The Joint Academy is a one-of-its-kind summer school organised in India. The best part about the academy was learning international trade from resource persons who are practitioners in their field, I missed this when I studied international trade in college. The summer school remains one of my best academic experiences so far and I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to pursue their interests in international trade law.
– Devika Agarwal, LL.M., Cambridge University, UK (3rd Joint Academy)
The CWS-WTI Joint Academy is the perfect set up for anyone who is interested in understanding the intricacies and complex issues that confront countries in the field of international trade and investment laws. The resource persons are world renowned, and learning from them is a once-in- a-lifetime opportunity. The Joint Academy has fuelled my interest in international trade and investment laws and remains the best academic experience of law school.
– Isha Das, B.A.-LL.B.(Hons), Amity Law School, Delhi, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprasth University, New Delhi (4th Joint Academy)