We’re glad to inform our readers that Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Access Campaign is looking to hire a Trade and Intellectual Property Analyst. This is a full time position based in New Delhi. The deadline for submitting applications is August 19, 2018. For further details, please read the post below:
Trade and Intellectual Property Analyst, MSF Access Campaign [New Delhi]
Position: Trade and Intellectual Property Analyst
Location: New Delhi, India
Contract: Permanent, full time position
Reporting to: India Head of Access Campaign
Application deadline: 19th August 2018
Starting date: ASAP
About MSF Access Campaign
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Created in 1999, the Access Campaign (AC) is an MSF advocacy entity guided by MSF’s charter, and dedicated to serve MSF’s social mission. Deeply rooted in MSF’s medical operations, the AC works to tackle barriers to people’s access to medical care, ensuring that quality products such as medicines, vaccines and diagnostics are available, affordable and adapted to people in MSF projects and beyond, now and for the future. The AC is hosted by MSF International, the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The Access Campaign’s multidisciplinary team addresses the underlying technical, legal and political barriers to developing the needed biomedical innovation and accessing existing products. While engaging in upstream systemic obstacles to access, the AC remains driven by MSF’s operational and medical priorities, balancing disease/product work and global international health policy work to ensure achievements of the AC translate into tangible benefits to MSF field interventions and beyond.
Working in close collaboration with the India Head of Access Campaign and with the technical input of the Access Campaign medical and policy team based in Europe and in the US, the Trade and IP analyst (FTAs and pharmaceuticals) will develop, support and implement advocacy strategies and activities to safeguarding public health, affordable access and innovation in trade related intellectual property negotiations.
Objectives of the Position
- To closely follow the schedule of all FTAs which involve India and IP and investment chapters, namely EU-India FTA, EFTA-India negotiations and RCEP;
- To create and maintain contact with negotiators on a regular basis and to provide technical inputs on IP related negotiations that impact MSF’s access and use of low cost generic medicines and affordable vaccines;
- Develop briefing and technical documents in partnership with policy and pharmacist team, and translate these into more easy-to-understand communication materials for different audiences with support of the communication team;
- Ensure that the MSF voice and experience is well articulated in all analyses and communications;
- To identify stakeholders and decision makers who will determine the outcomes of the FTAs involving India and working with the policy, pharmacist and communication team to develop and implement strategies to influence these towards removing harmful IP provisions from the negotiations;
- To work with civil society in advocacy activities related to the FTAs (IP and pharmaceuticals);
- To regularly brief colleagues from advocacy and communication teams of MSF entities in various countries, where they can support AC on addressing concerns regarding these FTAs;
- To work in close collaboration with AC communication team on the FTAs and #HandsOff messaging, press updates and statements.
- To propose strategies, implement advocacy activities to achieve goals of influencing the final text of the IP and investment chapter of FTAs involving India policy;
- To build up and maintain a network of local, regional and international actors (NGOs, ministries of trade and external affairs, think tanks) related to trade policies, FTAs;
- To maintain a clear link of this work to access to medicines and need for affordable pharmaceuticals and vaccines in MSF;
- Develop technical analysis, briefing documents and advocacy strategies in line with AC work on FTAs and pharmaceuticals;
- Provide support for MSF Access Campaign representation in workshops, meetings and conferences related to FTAs impact on access to affordable treatment across the world, particularly in middle income countries.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF;
- LL.B. or Masters Degree and experience of working on trade negotiations;
- Three years of experience working in a relevant field;
- Ability to analyze legal trade agreements, and identify language that would negatively impact public health and affordable access to medicines and innovation;
- Knowledge of intellectual property system;
- Knowledge of WTO and other trade agreements;
- Demonstrated interest/experience in global health and access to medicines;
- Experience of networking needed;
- Analytical and writing skills, both technical and for a wider public;
- Experience of organizing meetings, workshops;
- Oral communication skills with ability to effectively make presentations;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Able to work independently;
- Cross-cultural Awareness;
- Analytical thinking and result oriented;
- Willingness to travel in India and internationally;
- Comfortable with people living with HIV, TB and Hepatitis;
- Networking skills, ability to get acquainted with all involved actors (MSF, civil groups, decision makers at Ministries levels);
- Capacity to Negotiate
- A full time appointment for a permanent period;
- An annual gross salary between INR 9,35,714 – INR 10,53,156 depending on relevant work experience, based on a full-time appointment;
- Other benefits include 30 days paid leave (pro-rated based on hire date). Other leaves as per the Internal Regulations of MSF India;
- Contributions made for statutory benefit programs such as Provident Fund and Gratuity Fund;
- Covered under accident insurance premium free pension and international medical insurance The candidate must possess a valid visa to work in India
- The candidate must possess a valid visa to work in India
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please click here.