Have an interest in IP law? Love legal research and writing? Look no further! Apply immediately to become a SpicyIP Fellow!
Year after year, our fellowship series has attracted some of the brightest minds to the world of IP. We are now pleased to announce the 6th edition of the SpicyIP Fellowship for 2018-19.
SpicyIP Fellowship 2018-19
For those of you who are new to the blog, the SpicyIP Fellowship is a coveted position for those seeking to make a mark in the world of IP. Warning though: it entails a high level of rigour in research and writing! Though great fun as well, given the range of topics covered and the freedom you enjoy in creatively crafting your take on various IP cases and developments.
We are now looking for a fresh set of sharp, passionate and dedicated fellows who can help us grow even spicier this year. Apart from the sheer joy of writing, the selected Fellows will earn a stipend of approximately Rs. 45,000 a year (Rs. 1,000 per post).
Research Fellows: This year, we are also looking for at least two (2) Research Fellows who will be required to provide high-quality research as well as writing assistance for various initiatives undertaken by SpicyIP with the aim of fostering a more transparent, collaborative and productive IP/innovation ecosystem in India. These initiatives include book projects, research papers, public interest petitions, reports, advocacy campaigns etc. One of the main projects that the Research Fellows will be required to work on is the compilation of the first Open Access IP Dictionary, a joint initiative of the Institute of Law, Nirma University and SpicyIP.
Our Journey So Far
SpicyIP’s avowed aim is to produce a more transparent, collaborative and productive IP and innovation ecosystem in India. We’ve been working very hard towards achieving this for the last twelve years. We say so, albeit with modesty: our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Last year, we were listed among the top IP blogs in the world here and here! Some of our other achievements can be viewed here.
We now boast a subscriber base of over 6,000 and receive an average of 1,80,000 views per month. Our blog stats too show the growth we’ve had over the years, thanks in great part to our readers who keep us on our toes with their rigorous critique of our posts.
Anybody is welcome to apply. Sex no bar, age no bar, caste no bar, ideology no bar. So long as you are committed to the craft of writing, and possess a keen mind willing to learn and an attitude open to experimenting with fun formats and themes, this is the place for you!
How to apply?
- Interested candidates are required to submit the following to [email protected] with a cc to [email protected] with “Application for 6th SpicyIP Fellowship” in the subject line (Important: If “Application for 6th SpicyIP Fellowship” is not mentioned in the subject line, the e-mail may be missed) by February 28, 2018:
- At least two (2) blog posts;
- CV (not exceeding 2 pages); and
- A statement (not exceeding 1000 words) as to why the applicant thinks he/she would be a good fit for the blog.
- The posts must be relevant to the Indian IP landscape even if not directly about an Indian development. If you’re not sure whether your topic will be suitable, you may check with us at [email protected] with “Fellowship Topic Check” in the subject line.
- All posts must be analytical and not merely descriptive. Posts that reflect on current IP developments will be preferred. Even historical IP related issues or posts that reflect on larger IP themes at a conceptual or macro level are welcome.
- The word count of each post must be within the range of 900 to 1200 words.
- Fellows will be selected based on the quality of the posts submitted to us during this four week period. If the two posts submitted by the applicant are not sufficient to make a determination of suitability for the fellowship, more posts may be required after mutual dialogue with the applicant.
- The name of selected Fellows will be announced on the blog.
- If the first post from an applicant is of sub-standard quality, further posts from him/her will not be considered, barring exceptional circumstances.
- The posts that meet the editorial standards of the blog will be published as guest posts. However, if the topic has already been covered on the blog, then the post will not be published unless it introduces a new angle or dimension or perspective.
Interested candidates are required to e-mail the following to [email protected] with a cc to [email protected] with “Application for the position of Research Fellow” in the subject line (Important: If “Application for the position of Research Fellow” is not mentioned in the subject line, the e-mail may be missed) by February 10, 2018:
- CV (not exceeding 2 pages);
- Two (2) writing samples (published or unpublished);
- A statement of purpose (not exceeding 500 words);
- A concise, original and well-researched explanatory note on the meaning and scope of any 3 IP words/phrases/concepts of one’s choice e.g. moral rights, inventive step, passing off (kindly avoid using the words/phrases used as examples). The word count must not exceed 500 per word/phrase/concept (excluding footnotes).
We may also conduct a telephonic or Skype interview of the shortlisted candidates before making the final selection.
- Topical Relevance
- Research skills
- Grammar/Lucidity /Language skills
- Logical flow, coherence and structure
- Authorities cited
- Coverage of key points
- Clarity of language
- Presentation style
Terms and conditions
- Once selected, Fellows will be on a probationary period for the first two months of the fellowship. The probationary period may be extended if more time is required to assess the performance of the Fellows.
- Fellows will be required to write a minimum of 4 posts per month for a period of 12 months. If notified in advance, this can be reduced to 2 posts during the months of internship (maximum twice a year) and exempted during the period of exams (maximum twice a year).
- These posts can be on either the Fellows’ own preferred topics so long as they fit within our broader mission statement, or ones chosen from a pool of topics open to all members of the team.
- Each post must be of a minimum of 900 words and preferably under 1200 words (unless the situation otherwise warrants).
- Apart from the posts, the Fellows may be required to assist in research. Depending on the load of research, posting requirements may be adjusted accordingly.
- The expected tenure of fellowship will be from March 15, 2018 to March 14, 2019.
- Once the probationary period is over and the fellowship is confirmed, the Fellow will be paid a stipend (approximately Rs. 1,000 per post). If we receive more donor funding, we will enhance this stipendiary amount.
- Once selected, Fellows will be on a probationary period for the first month of the fellowship. The probationary period may be extended if more time is required to assess the performance of the Fellows.
- Fellows will be required to spend at least 2 hours every day (including on weekends) on the work allocated. However, exemption can be granted for weekdays during the period of internship (maximum twice a year) and during the entire period of exams (maximum twice a year), provided the dates are notified to us in advance.
- The expected tenure of the fellowship will be from February 20, 2018 to February 19, 2019.
- Once the probationary period is over and the fellowship is confirmed, the Fellow will be paid a monthly stipend (based on their performance) and awarded a certificate upon successful completion of the fellowship.
- If the Fellow does not diligently fulfill his/her obligations as set out above or is otherwise deemed unfit for the blog during the probationary period, we will not confirm the fellowship.
- After confirmation of the fellowship, if a Fellow is found to not diligently fulfill his/her obligations at any time during the fellowship period, we reserve the right to terminate the fellowship at any point in time.
- If the fellowship is so terminated, the Fellow will receive no more stipend than what they have already received up to that point and in case of Research Fellows, the Fellow will not be provided with a certificate as well.
If there are any queries in relation to the Fellowship, please drop us an e-mail at <[email protected]m>. We look forward to receiving your applications!