We’re pleased to announce that the Institute of Intellectual Property Research and Development (IIPRD), along with Khurana & Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys (K&K) is organizing the Fifth International Patent Drafting Competition (IPDC) from September 2 to September 25, 2019. SpicyIP readers interested in participating can enjoy a discount of 50% on the participation fee. They’ll be required to pay only INR 500 instead of INR 1000. For further details, please read the post below:
5th International Patent Drafting Competition (IPDC)
IPDC is a 5 year old initiative of IIPRD, and its sister law firm Khurana & Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys (K&K) to bring about greater awareness and respect for intellectual property (IP) issues, particularly for patents, which have, over time, become more relevant to the Indian ecosystem than ever. With rising patent litigation in India, quality of patents and the scope provided thereby is a crucial aspect that is evaluated/scrutinized by the Courts/Appellate Boards. Furthermore, gone are the times when Indian companies, universities and individuals were only looking forward to creating Defensive Patent Portfolios in India, wherein entities are nowadays looking towards building an aggressive portfolio with sustainable commercial value. More and more PCT and Convention Applications are being filed each month/year by Indian applicants with around 40-60 Indian Priority Taking PCT Applications being published each week. Most of these patents are filed with an objective of either licensing, or enforcement, or in-house commercialization, and hence quality of patent drafting including claim drafting, scope of protection accorded, variety of embodiments presented, support in the specification, limitations provided, among other aspects is crucial to Patent Applications.
This initiative of IPDC comes with an earnest effort by IIPRD and K&K to promote the development of patent drafting as a skill set and encourage more and more technical people to take up patent drafting as a professional competency, along with identifying and encouraging top patent drafters in country.
Modus-Operandi of Conducting IPDC
- On September 02, 2019: Three Invention Disclosures (Describing Three Different Inventions), one each in the domain of Electronics / Hi-Tech, Mechanical, and Chemistry / Pharmaceuticals, will be uploaded on K&K (www.khuranaandkhurana.com) and IIPRD (www.iiprd.com) websites.
- By September 16, 2019: Eligible participants would need to write e-patent applications / specifications (along with drawings, if applicable). The drafted patent application can be sent to us via email (on [email protected]) or physically. In order to enable only serious participants to submit their applications/specifications, a participation fee of INR 1000 is to be submitted by each participant. The fee would be reduced to INR 500 per person if a group of 3 participants submit together.
- On September 25, 2019: Two winners for each technology domain (total of 6 winners) would be announced on the website of K&K and IIPRD. Prize distribution shall take place thereafter.
Prize Amounts and Certification
- Two winners for each technology domain (total of 6 winners) would be announced
- First prize: Rs. 1,00,000 and Second prize: Rs. 50000 for each technology domain certificates would also be provided to the winners
- All participants would also be given participation certificates for the Competition
Any practitioner having a technical/science background is eligible to participate in the Competition. For instance, the participant could be a student, a practicing attorney, an in-house counsel, a scientist, a faculty member, or any other stakeholder having a technical qualification.
For more information, kindly click here.
For direct registration, please provide your details here.
For any query/question, please feel free to write to [email protected], and/or call (120) 4296878 / +91 8920269831 and speak with Ms. Bhumika.