As announced earlier, SpicyIP is offering a Fellowship for researching and writing on developments in the Indian intellectual property rights and innovation policy scenario. There are currently 15 days left to apply for the Fellowship. Once again, at least 3 guest posts are required to be submitted by the end of this period to be considered eligible for the Fellowship. We’ve already received several great entries and we look forward to receiving more as the deadline approaches.
There does however seem to be a common confusion regarding the scope of topic permitted for the these guest posts, as we have received several (otherwise well written) entries relating solely to developments in USA or UK. Please note that guest posts must fall within our broader mission statement. To clarify: these guest posts must be on topics related to developments in India or be from an Indian perspective or must be continuing on from discussions that we have already started on the blog.
Once again, the stipulations are as follows:
The 2013-2014 fellowship is open to all interested students and carries a stipend of Rs. 15,000.
What are we looking for?
As our mission statement reads, our writers are bound by an interest in fostering a more transparent, collaborative and productive IP and Innovation eco-system in India. While we continue to try harder and grow, we are pleased to note that our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Just a few weeks ago, SpicyIP was ranked as the 8th most popular IP/ Tech law blog in the world, and last year, Managing IP listed SpicyIP as one of the top 50 shapers of the future of intellectual property! With our email subscription list now having over 3500 members and our blog receiving over 80,000 viewers monthly, our blog stats too show the growth we’ve had over the years, thanks in great part to our readers who keep the conversations going and keep us on our toes. Some of our other achievements are listed here. We are now looking to share this platform with up to 3 new similarly dedicated Fellows.
– How to apply?
- Fellows will be chosen based on quality of guest posts submitted to us over a 6 week period from 14th December, 2012 to 25th January, 2013.
- At least three guest posts per applicant need to be submitted in this 6 week period.
- These guest posts are to be submitted to swaraj.baroo[email protected] with “fellowship” in the subject line. (important: if “fellowship” is not put in the subject line, the mail may be missed)
– Evaluation criteria
- Ability to research
- Critical analysis
- Ability to write succinctly
- Language skills
- Anybody is welcome to apply.
- To be considered for the Fellowship, each applicant must submit at least 3 guest posts within the 6 week period from 14th December, 2012 to 25th January, 2013.
- These guest posts must pass our standard editorial check for the blog which include:
- A upper word limit of 900 words per post.
- Clarity of language
- Clear analysis
- Relevance of topic
- Posts on current events will be preferred but conceptual and purely analytical posts will be accepted too.
- If the topic has already been covered on the blog, then the post will not be carried unless it brings in a new angle or overlooked aspect.
– Terms and conditions
- Once selected, Fellows will be on a probationary period for the first month (February 2013).
- Fellows will be required to either:
- Write 6 posts per month for 12 months. If notified in advance, this can be reduced to 4 per month during internship periods; and a complete break period for exam durations.; OR
- 5 posts per month for 12 months. If notified in advance, up to 4 weeks can be taken off.
- These posts can be either the Fellow’s own preferred topics so long as they fit within our broader mission statement or can be chosen from a pool of topics open to all members.
- These posts must be a minimum of 350 words per post.
- The fellowship period will begin on February 1st, 2013 and run till January 31st, 2014.
- The stipend will be paid in in 3 parts of Rs 5000 each, payable every 4 months for the duration of the fellowship.
– Selection Process
- The Fellows will be selected from the guest posters during the above mentioned 6 week period and will be notified as soon as it ends on 25th January, 2013.
- Based on these submitted guest posts, current SpicyIP team members will decide by consensus to whom the Fellowships will be awarded.
- Once selected, the Fellows will be announced on the blog.
- Up to three Fellows may be selected.
- Once selected, if an applicant does not fulfill or otherwise terminates his obligation before the end of the fellowship period, the fellowship will be considered cancelled.
- The same will be notified on the blog and that applicant will receive no more than what s/he has already received up to that point.
- For the duration of the first month of the fellowship, i.e., February 2013, the Fellow will be on a probationary period and we reserve the right to terminate the fellowship if the candidate is deemed unfit in that period.
If there are any questions, please send them across. We look forward to receiving your entries!